Be sure to listen to the podcast while going through the study
Be sure to download the PDF as it also contains quotes from Patristic writings on Baptism
What is Baptism: Is it a work by which one can boast? Is it an outward sign of inward grace? What does scripture say about Baptism?
Ephesians 4:4-6 – Baptism is basic Christian doctrine, and there is only one.
Acts 2:38 – Repentance and baptism leads to forgiveness and the gift of the Holy Spirit
Romans 6:3-4 – Participation, not simply parallel or an outward sign, Baptism is more than a sign, it is participation.
1st Peter 3:21 – Baptism is essential for salvation
Acts 8:26-38 – The Bible is clear, the good news (Gospel Message) includes baptism
Mark 16:16 – Belief and Baptism = salvation according to Jesus
- Mark 1:4 – Even Johns Baptism was for forgiveness of sins
- Acts 16:33 – Belief alone is insufficient
- Acts 22:16 – Fasted and prayed for three days, yet what are you waiting for, be baptized for the forgiveness of sins
- Colossians 2:12 – Baptism is immersion, i.e. burial, the power of God in baptism is how baptism has its power
- Matthew 28:19 – Baptism involves discipleship
- John 3:5 – Born Again = Water and Spirit