The Cross of Christ
Be sure to listen to the podcast while going through the study
The Light of Men
Synopsis: What is the Cross? It is the answer to all that has gone wrong. It is the very thing that defeated sin and made a way for forgiveness; for us to know God by tearing down that wall of sin that separates us. It expects us to respond…
Take turns reading the passages below:
Isaiah 53:4-6 (Chapter 53:1-12)
- Prophecy about Jesus
- Jesus us dreading the cross, prays for the right attitude
- Jesus had a choice, he chose to die for us
- Beaten, mocked
Matthew 26: 57-68
- Denied. Have you ever denied Jesus? (Luke 9:23)
- We are Barabbas, we are set free while the Son of God is condemned, but we are the guilty ones.
- Crowned with thorns while being further mocked, spit upon and beaten
- In the end, to be abandoned by God. He bore not only the punishment due us, but also the actual guilt. He was separated from God (Isaiah 59:2, 2nd Corinthians 5:21)
1st Peter 2:21-25
- Our response to the cross
- Question: Does not Jesus deserve those for whom he died?
- The cross should always produce commitment in an open heart.
- How are you going to respond?
- How should you respond?
- Romans 5:6-8
Closing the Study – Read the medical account of the cross. Included in the PDF thanks to Douglas Jacoby (http://www.douglasjacoby.com/)