The Word of God
Be sure to listen to the podcast while going through the study
Synopsis: This is the foundational study. Anyone who accepts this has an excellent chance of being a disciple. The object is to ensure that the bible is the perfect and ultimate authority in this individual’s life, creating an obedient spirit.
Hebrews 4:12-13 – It means that at times the word may hurt, but like a scalpel removing the diseased body for healing and life, so the word also is like that Scalpel going in and cutting away the bad things in our life to allow healing and spiritual maturity
1st Timothy 4:16 – Life and doctrine are important like both wings of the plane are important. What happens if the plane loses one of its wings, now think at the idea of Life and Doctrine being important according to this plane scenario.
- Ignorance of the word – Matthew 22:29, Hosea 4:6
- Personality cults – 1st Corinthians 1:12, Acts 20:30
- Twisting Scriptures – 2nd Peter 3:16, Genesis 3:1
- Personal convenience – 2nd Timothy 4:3, Isaiah 30:10-11
- Traditions of men – Mark 7:6-9, Colossians 2:8
- Additions to the word – Proverbs 30:6, Revelation 22:18
- Unwillingness to obey – John 8:31-32, John 7:17
2nd Timothy 3:16-17 – The word is both inspired and useful, think training in righteousness as in those who train for the Olympics, all they receive is a medal, this is for eternity. Tell the story of the long string and how just a small portion of that string is your life here while the rest of the long and out of view string is eternity. We spend a lot of time for small moments in this life when compared to eternity, it is short and limited.
John 12:47-48 – Think taking exams, what if the teacher/professor handed out the answers in advance, all you had to do was study it and ace the test. God/Jesus has given us what we need to know in order to pass into eternity with Him.
Acts 17:10-11 – Be eager to learn, study daily, be enthusiastic, ask questions. Make the word your foundation.
Extra Passages to choose from based on the person studying
- 2nd Timothy 2:15 see also the scriptures in bullets above under 1st Timothy 4:16
Closing the Study: Ask them if they are willing to put reading the word daily, praying and attending church regularly into their lives. To trust the word as the authority in their lives and having a healthy skepticism allowing for them to ask questions and to seek answers.
How to Use This Study
What is this study about?
- The word is the ultimate authority
- This is what we will use from here on out to discuss what it means to seek God, live for God and prepare to meet God: The Bible
- The person who accepts the word as the authority in their lives, will be able to get the following studies
- Read and discuss the scriptures, according to their respective notes underneath them
Closing the Study:
- First as the Fort Avenue church – Challenge to the Church to ensure it’s the authority in their lives.
- Study this during the week, including the additional passages listed.
- With those we are studying with – To make it the authority in their lives and not someone else, something else.